12235090293 eab9ef04f2_m

Help for British nationals overseas who need new or replacement passports

Additional measures to help British nationals overseas who need new or replacement passports. British nationals living overseas who are waiting for a new passport, or whose passport has recently expired or will expire soon, are being offered additional services to help with any concerns they may have about their ability to travel. If you live in Spain and need to renew an existing British passport, you can instead apply for it to be extended for 12 months. You will need to be in possession of a passport that expired less than six months ago or will expire within the next three months, and have at least three blank pages left in your passport. There is no charge for this service.

If you have already made an application to have your passport renewed then you cannot get an extension to your current passport, even if you still have it with you. If you need to travel urgently, you can apply for an emergency travel document.

If you’re the parent or guardian of a child living in Spain who needs to travel, you may be able to apply for an emergency travel document for your child instead of a new or renewed passport.

If you want to access any of these services, you should call 902 109 356 in Spain and make an appointment to visit your nearest British Consulate. Please do not arrive without an appointment – there is no “drop-in” service. You can also get more information here.

These additional services are designed to enable British nationals overseas to continue to be able to travel, and are in response to people’s understandable concerns about the current pressure on Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the United Kingdom, which is dealing with the highest demand for passports in 12 years.

You can get all the latest information at www.gov.uk/get-an-emergency-passport-extension-or-child-travel-document.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *